5.14.2010

Small Town Bounty

While there are no little pink houses here, the little town of Lebanon is the Working Mans Wonderland. Yes, this is my happy ever after...for the time being anyway. And as I drive through town I can't help but wonder how some things came to be. In a town that has a "feels like" population of 1200, why are there 5 Subway shops? One for each of the 5 people you will ever see at the park on the walking trail? Is Lebanon a mini-LA with its two sushi joints? Oh and I'm not talking the Mongolian all you can eat Buffet with Sushi on the bar but official blade slinging asian know how. Also enchanting is the Donut Palace...home of the giant cinnamon roll and the cute little asian man who hangs out the drive through window and says..."heh-woah, howe ah jew todeeeeee?" I love that. There are also 6 funeral homes, I guess for all the people that didn't take the opportunity to eat Sub fresh. 4 Dollar General stores because where else can you get cheap flowers to put on all those gravesites. Oh and 3 flea markets. Taking a step back and looking at the big picture, it seems that the circle of life here is to eat light, shop thrifty and die. But the thing that really makes this little town sparkle, is that we have our very own princess. She's the new principal at my kids elementary school. The first time I saw her I was in the school pick up line. Me and about 200 dads that are suddenly able to pick up the kids after all. There she was, on a warm sunny day, in her pretty pastel floral FITTED top and her flowing pink skirt akin to June Cleaver. And she made it work with her little pink pumps. From the back I could only see the most beautiful long flaxen hair. And when she spun around it was like watching a shampoo commercial, hair flying, teeth gleaming and a little glimmer in her eye as she shut the car door and waved goodbye to the car rider she just loaded. There was a universal sigh from all the dads, the kids adored her, and she even waved to all the haggard moms who were sorry the school day was already over. She just spent the day with over 300 kids and still looked daisy fresh. As I pulled forward, I was careful to watch out for the little woodland creatures I felt certain were hanging about. I even went as far as to crack the window just to see if she was actually singing when she said "Alright children, wait for the cars to come to a complete stop". Of all the Disney Princesses, she is Sleeping Beauty. Enchanting.


Makes me think of a carol...

7 dads a sighing, 6 Funeral Homes. 5 Subway shops, 4 dollar stores, 3 flea markets, 2 sushi bars and a princess at the elementary schoooool.

No comments:

Post a Comment